Thinking about getting an AMEX Gold Credit card? Think no more
11th November 2016
The AMEX Gold Credit Card is worth getting, provided you manage it responsibly.
It gives a little less value than some of the premium alternatives which American Express offers, but it is an entry-level option.
The cards benefit lies in the fact that it has a low annual fee of $125 and cardholders also earn AMEX membership rewards.
All about an AMEX Gold Credit Card
Your AMEX card issues ‘CHIP & PIN’ Cards for all American Express products. So your gold credit card will require a PIN to ensure all your transactions are safe.
In South Africa, for this particular card, you need to meet certain criteria –
- You must be over 18 years of age and a South African resident
- Your income has to be at least R120,000 per year or more.
As an American Express Gold Credit Cardmember, you’ll receive exclusive membership rewards. You get points every time you use your card.
The AMEX Gold Card provides you with the kind of quality you expect from a leading brand. You can use the card throughout South Africa and in more than 200 countries.
Some of the Other benefits of the American Express Gold Card –
- No preset spending limit – suits those with high spending needs
- Stay two consecutive nights at a Hotel Collection brand and get $75 back with each stay when you use the card
- Utilise the card wherever you see the American Express sign locally or abroad.
- When you travel at home or abroad, you get automatic travel insurance.
The Gold credit card is subject to a fee of 2.7% on all transactions processed in countries outside the USA.
Once considered to be the card to have, today it is no longer an exclusive product. Review the terms of the contract carefully to make sure that this is the card for you.
General and Emergency Spending
Use the AMEX Gold Credit Card for general everyday spending. It has a budget facility where you pay off larger purchases over a longer period.
It’s also got an Emergency cash service. If you need money while you’re abroad, your Gold Credit Card entitles you to quick cash.
You’re able to withdraw money from more than 800 000 ATMs around the world. You can also go into any Foreign Exchange Office and withdraw up to $1000 per billing cycle.
The following documentation will be required by you for processing your application –
- South African bar-coded identity card or passport
- 3 of the latest pay slips
Then its a case of waiting to see if your AMEX Gold credit card is approved.
All info was correct at time of publishing